2018 Can-Am Maverick X3 Family – 5 New Models
Can-Am continues to deliver on its promise to bring the defiant, precise and powerful dynamics of the Maverick X3 side-by-side vehicle family to the off-road masses with the introduction of the naturally aspirated Maverick X3 900 HO base package and the new Triple-Black and Can-Am Red Maverick X3 X rs Turbo R family with Smart-Lok™.
The new Maverick X3 900 HO vehicle arrives with the proven and segment-altering Maverick X3 family genetics, including the triple-cylinder Rotax powerplant. Along with a few specific package features, like its stirring Can-Am Red color and a full 18-in. (45.7 cm) of suspension travel, the new point-of-entry Maverick X3 family member further blurs the lines between affordability and precision performance.
Can-Am engineers, responding to consumer demands, have added the exclusive fully lockable, on-the-fly Smart-Lok front differential technology, designed in conjunction with TEAM Industries, to its top-of-the-line Maverick X3 X rs Turbo R and Maverick X3 MAX X rs Turbo R vehicles wearing the new Triple-Black and Can-Am Red coloration. Unmatched surefootedness and ample traction means these elite Super Sport-class models — complete industry-leading power, precision handling and supreme comfort — can tackle challenging terrain with the utmost confidence and maneuverability.
NEW CAN-AM MAVERICK X3 900 HO
The introduction the 2018 Maverick X3 900 HO extends the Can-Am X3 side-by-side vehicle’s industry superiority to the hordes of performance enthusiasts, but does so at an exceptional value. Sharing the same core DNA and many of the same features as the most powerful factory-built side-by-side vehicle on the market, the turbocharged 172hp Can-Am Maverick X3 X rs Turbo R side-by-side vehicle, the all-new, 90hp X3 900 HO vehicle remains defiant, precise and powerful in its makeup. A few strategic package changes compared to its high-horsepower sibling create a well-equipped 64-in. (162.5 cm) wide vehicle that’s superbly proficient in a wide variety of terrain.
TRADEMARK CAN-AM DNA WITH A NEXT GENERATION LOOK AND CAPABILITY
- Exclusive coloration and components: The 90hp Maverick X3 900 HO package is available in an exclusive and energetic Can-Am Red coloration, complete with a black cage and black wheels.
- Unique and unprecedented design: The new Can-Am Maverick X3 900 HO has the same industry-altering Maverick X3 family design to create a similar experience for both driver and passenger. Its performance-driven mechanical and structural designs meet demanding off-road settings, while its ample performance will continue to build recreational memories for sporty enthusiasts.
- Intensified Can-Am DNA: The Can-Am Maverick X3 side-by-side vehicle has a superior fit and finish, and the advanced design focuses squarely on the driver and passenger. Its unique visual statement starts in the front with a distinctive Can-Am family appearance, then moves through the advanced cockpit, complete with push-button start/stop, and ends with its aggressive and energetic rear end.
LOW SEATS, BOLD STANCE
- Low seating position: All Can-Am Maverick X3 side-by-side vehicles have a low seating position that encapsulates both driver and passenger so they feel at one with the vehicle and connected to its every move.
- Elevated ground clearance: The Maverick X3 900 HO family of rock-ready side-by-side vehicles features excellent ground clearance to accommodate varying conditions. Its high and dominant posture ensures optimal off-road capabilities with no compromise to line-of-sight.
- Smooth line of sight: The Can-Am Maverick X3 900 HO side-by-side vehicle is designed with a smooth line of sight to create an optimized field of vision for both occupants.
ADVANCED ERGO-LOK COCKPIT
- Optimized control positions: The Can-Am Maverick X3 side-by-side vehicles have everything in the right place with easy-to-access controls. The race-inspired, flat-bottom steering wheel tilts up to 25 degrees and has an integrated digital gauge for optimal visibility at any angle. There is also a panoramic mirror for excellent rear visibility to see other drivers lagging behind. The multifunction digital gauge includes a speedometer, tachometer, odometer, trip and hour meters, fuel, gear position, sport mode, ECO mode, seat belt and 4×4 indicator, diagnostics, clock and auto shut off.
- Superior mechanics: Like other Maverick X3 vehicles in the family, the Maverick X3 900 HO vehicle’s interior mechanical elements enhance the dynamic performance, seamlessly connecting the passenger to the vehicle. The interior is insightfully and purposefully configured, providing naturally positioned passenger grab bars, angled footrests for both the driver and passenger and a sports car-like centered accelerator and brake pedals.
- ErgoPrint seats: The same driver-focused, rally car-like seating the original Can-Am Maverick X3 vehicles made famous are included in the Maverick X3 900 HO. Designed for optimal positioning and ergonomics, the ErgoPrint seat shape is ideal for support and weight distribution, providing excellent comfort and bump absorption. The one-piece molded seats are four-way adjustable – 2-in. (5.1 cm) in height and 6-in. (15.2 cm) in forward-rearward slide. They sit on mud-proof supports and have removable cushions for easy cleaning.
- Harness system ready: The X3 900 HO comes standard with 3-point seat belts, but is 4- and 5-point harness ready.
- Easy to accessorize: The Maverick X3 900 HO side-by-side vehicle is simple to accessorize to let owners maximize their customization efforts. Available genuine Can-Am and valued aftermarket partnership accessories include bumpers, harness kits, graphics, cargo racks and roofs to name only a few. Installation is designed to be quick and easy, especially when using Can-Am LinQ accessories. An integrated wiring channel and ground post was incorporated for easy electronics installation.
- TTX rear suspension: The Can-Am Maverick X3 900 HO side-by-side vehicle features the amazing four-link TTX suspension with its trophy truck-inspired trailing arm and three links that control wheel toe for optimal geometry during extra high wheel travel. Components are perfectly matched for unparalleled power transfer to the wheels and high traction with virtually no bump steer. The suspension system, with its 18-in. (45.7 cm) of travel — which is better than the competition — offers precision control, traction and more confidence.
- Front A-arm suspension: The Can-Am Maverick X3 900 HO has a double A-arm and sway bar setup that delivers 18-in. (45.7 cm) of travel.
- FOX Podium piggyback shocks: The Maverick X3 900 HO vehicle wears FOX HPG 2.5 piggyback shocks, front and rear, offering adjustable preload and 18-in. (45.7 cm) of travel.
ULTRA-EFFICIENT, LIGHTWEIGHT CHASSIS
- Ultra-light and industry-leading cage rigidity: The Can-Am Maverick X3 900 HO vehicle features an ultra light, rigid chassis made of cutting-edge Dual-Phase 980 steel, which is lighter than traditional steel. This allows the chassis to deliver 53 percent better torsional stiffness while being 20 percent lighter than its closest competitor. It is a 1.85-in. (4.7 cm) tubular, fully welded design – no bolts, no extra pieces – with dedicated servicing zones in case of repair or replacement. The cage is fully ROHVA compliant and creates a protective barrier around both driver and passenger.
- Enhanced protection: The Can-Am Maverick X3 900 HO vehicle offers protection for all occupants with its standard high-strength DP 980 steel black cage, integrated front bumper, quarter doors, full HMW skid-plate and capable 3-point seat belts.
SHARPEST HANDLING FEATURES
- Optimal stability: The 102-in. (259.1 cm) wheelbase, which is a full 12-in. (30.5 cm) longer than the closest competitor, improves off-road capability by supplying more comfort and a confidence-inspiring ride at both high speeds and technical crawls. The elongated wheelbase, optimal weight distribution (44/56) and ample ground clearance [13-in. (33 cm)] translates to optimum performance and stability in even the most challenging terrain.
- Superior grip and control: The Can-Am Maverick X3 900 HO side-by-side vehicle sports 14-in. (35.6 cm) black, aluminum wheels with six-ply, 27-in. (68.6 cm) Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires. The proven tires have sturdy lugs and a non-directional tread pattern for a smoother ride over a wide variety of terrain.
- Precise: The Can-Am Maverick X3 900 HO features a high-performance suspension with ideal front and rear balance (44% front / 56% rear) and premium FOX 2.5 Podium shocks. It rests on an ultra-efficient, lightweight chassis and delivers superb performance through optimized handling. Ample braking and a strategic design also enhance the driving experience.
- Extraordinary braking power: The Can-Am Maverick X3 900 HO vehicle uses the same dependable braking package as its larger-bore siblings for superior stopping performance. The vehicle includes large, twin piston calipers and 262 mm discs up front, and twin piston calipers and 248 mm discs at the rear. Each has high-performance brake pads for superior control. The master cylinder is located inside the cockpit for better protection.
- Optimized ride control: All Can-Am Maverick X3 side-by-side vehicles have many driver-centric features. An updated high-torque, Tri-Mode DPS system (Min, Med, Max) is designed to optimize the desired amount of steering assist for trail riding and in extremely difficult terrain where management at slow speed is a necessity. All Maverick X3 models come with Intelligent Throttle Control (iTC), which provides smooth throttle delivery even if the driver’s foot is bouncing in rough terrain. The Maverick X3 900 HO vehicle also has the race-inspired, quick-ratio steering wheel with just 1.5 turns lock-to-lock, for precise control.
CONVENIENCE AND MAINTENANCE
- Increased fuel capacity: Owners will focus more on driving and less on refueling with the Can-Am Maverick X3 vehicles, as they offer a 10.5-Gal. (40 L) fuel tank, which is the largest in the industry.
- Ample storage/cargo capacity: The Can-Am Maverick X3 900 HO side-by-side vehicle offers a total of 2.5-Gal. / 9.4 L of storage by way of a fixed glove box, center console and two cup holders, because added convenience improves the overall performance package. Externally, there is a rear rack with a 200-lbs. (91 kg) capacity. The rack works with the Can-Am LinQ quick-attach accessory system, allowing easy installation and removal of a storage box, rack extension, bag or other items. The centre console includes a lighter-type DC outlet as well.
- Latest ignition technology: The Can-Am Maverick X3 features an automotive-like, keyless start-stop button activated by a Radio Frequency Digitally Encoded Security System (D.E.S.S.) key. It also includes a separate learning key that limits speed and acceleration for novice drivers.
- Simple maintenance: The Can-Am Maverick X3 900 HO is designed for ease of maintenance. The front hood allows quick access to fluids and fuses, while snapfitted body panels allow for quick access to other key components. The hood and grill are also removable for easy radiator cleaning. Additionally, there is easy access to DIY pieces, including the radiator, battery, oil filter and fuel pump.
- Maintenance free first year: The Can-Am Maverick X3 900 HO, like other Maverick X3 vehicles, has no break-in maintenance required and only an annual maintenance schedule, which means reduced total maintenance costs. The yearly advised maintenance is at 1,865 miles (3,000 km) or 200 hours.
NEW ROTAX ACE ENGINE PACKAGE
- 90hp Rotax engine: The all-new 2018 Maverick X3 900 HO benefits from the X3 family’s revolutionary design, style and industry influence but offers more affordability for the off-road crowd. The Maverick X3 side-by-side vehicle’s 90hp Rotax ACE inline triple-cylinder 900cc engine delivers ample performance for a wide variety of conditions. Don’t let the reduced horsepower fool you, though, as the Maverick X3 900 HO vehicle is made to enthrall while it induces smiles. The Rotax ACE engine is located in the rear of the chassis, resulting in lower cockpit noise, vibration and heat. It also has iridium spark plugs, for improved combustion, longer life and lower maintenance.
- Powerful 650-W magneto: Whether it is to install high-performance lighting or a ground-shaking sound system, the Can-Am Maverick X3 side-by-side vehicle’s high-output, 650-W magneto can handle it.
ADVANCED AIRFLOW DYNAMICS
- Improved airflow: The Can-Am Maverick X3 900 HO side-by-side vehicle features a highly efficient airflow system that’s optimized from intake to exhaust to deliver superb engine efficiency and performance. The intake areas are strategically positioned high and dry for excellent mud/water protection.
- Triple, dedicated air intake: There are three oversized air intakes located behind the driver that deliver a constant supply of clean air – two to cool the CVT and one for high airflow to the engine. The Maverick X3 family also features an easy-to-access, long-lasting Donaldson air filter that’s purpose-built for performance.
- Enhanced exhaust: The Can-Am Maverick X3 900 HO vehicle has a large, sport-inspired exhaust with signature sound, which only a Rotax 3-cylinder engine can deliver!
- High-response QRS-X CVT: The Can-Am Maverick X3 900 HO side-by-side vehicle has the same high-performance QRS-X CVT transmission and a compact gearbox that’s optimized to enhance throttle response without torque interruption. It has a smooth and predictable engagement, and stays at an optimal RPM so the focus can be on driving and overall performance instead of shifting, even in the most severe conditions like hill climbing or muddy terrain.
- Durable QRS-X CVT design: The QRS-X CVT transmission’s drive belt uses a special compound to produce a stiffer belt with more lateral rigidity. The Can-Am Maverick X3 family’s enormous power transfers into extreme capability using the long, wide CVT belt and a robust three-roller pulley design that includes integrated cooling fins for enhanced airflow. It is a gear-on-gear system with no rear prop shaft for more durability and no maintenance required.
- Advanced cooling: The Can-Am Maverick X3 900 HO side-by-side vehicle features the same advanced airflow design for optimized CVT cooling which provides better protection for longer-lasting CVT components (e.g. longer belt durability) and less maintenance. More fins were added to the fan to enhance heat transfer.
- Simple transmission maintenance: The Can-Am Maverick X3 900 HO side-by-side vehicle was designed for ease-of-maintenance with the transmission system by way of quick access to the filters, an easily removable CVT belt and easy-to-access CVT cover drain plug.
Maverick X3 900 HO specific features
- 90hp Rotax ACE recalibrated engine (no intercooler, no turbo)
- Tri-mode DPS
- Double A-arm front suspension
- TTX rear suspension arched lower links
- FOX 2.5 Podium Piggyback front and rear shocks
- 18-in. (47.5 cm) of front/rear suspension travel
- 13-in. (33 cm) of ground clearance
- 64-in. (162.5 cm) wide
- 102-in. (259.1 cm) wheelbase
- 27-in. (68.6 cm) Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires
- 14-in. (35.6 cm) black aluminum wheels
- Quarter doors
- 3-point seat belts
- Full HMW skid plate
- Black cage
- Can-Am Red plastic
- Starting at $17,999 USD
NEW MAVERICK X3 X RS TURBO R W / SMART-LOK & MAVERICK X3 MAX X RS TURBO W / SMART-LOK
Can-Am added two new distinctive Maverick X3 X rs Turbo R side-by-side vehicles with the exclusive Can-Am Smart-Lok fully locking front differential system designed in tandem with TEAM Industries, a leader in drive train technologies, and all new colors. The two-seat Maverick X3 X rs Turbo R and the four-seat Maverick X3 MAX X rs Turbo R vehicles, dressed in Triple Black and Can-Am Red, join the existing 2018 family as separate available packages. As the industry’s most powerful super-sport vehicles at 172hp, their Defiant, Precise, Powerful reign continues with newfound and unmatched traction and control.
Smart-Lok: Full lockable on-the-fly front differential with electronically controlled automatic modes The new Triple Black and Can-Am Red Maverick X3 X rs Turbo R and Maverick X3 MAX X rs Turbo R vehicles now feature the electronically controlled front lockable differential system with Smart-Lok technology that takes traction to new levels. The system ensures maximum grip and enhanced slow-speed maneuverability especially in challenging terrain. The Smart-Lok system, developed in conjunction with TEAM Industries, takes integrated intelligence to new heights and allows on-the-fly adjustments. The differential can lock and unlock on the fly no matter the speed, letting the driver focus on the trail.
Smart-Lok offers intelligent modes for different riding conditions. The brain controlling this industry leading technology is the Front Differential Module, gathering input from six key vehicle parameters. It analyzes front wheel speed from both sides, steering angle, accelerator pedal, gear position, engine torque and vehicle speed. Depending on the readings and the Smart-Lok’s setting, the actuator will instantaneously initiate the locking of the front differential. The result is simple steering output (same as being fully open), allowing the driver to accurately conquer varying obstacles while maintaining momentum.
The driver has the option to select between four modes: 2×4 / 4×4 fully locked / 4×4 TRAIL ACTIV and 4×4 TRAIL. The dual “TRAIL” settings are designed to enhance the off-road experience by offering a more versatility and a customized feel to match to specific terrain, conditions and demands. Our engineering team further enriched the system by including hill descent control, which includes an Electronic Braking System (EBS) at all four wheels, for improved control and traction.
The Maverick X3 X rs Turbo R Smart-Lok and Maverick X3 MAX X rs Turbo R Smart-Lok packages, both with industry-leading 172 horsepower, are available in an exclusive Triple Black & Can-Am Red finish, complete with a matching Can-Am Red cage and black roof.
NEW MAVERICK X3 X mr MUD PACKAGES
Two all-new Maverick X3 X mr packages reinforce Can-Am’s position as the preferred brand in the specialty mud market. A new top-of-the-line, 172-hp Maverick X3 X mr Turbo R and a 120-hp X3 X mr Turbo are both built to provide the utmost in confidence and capability. They feature Can-Am’s fully lockable, on-the-fly Smart-Lok front differential optimized with multiple driving modes for superb handling and traction in the mud.
The Maverick X3 X mr Turbo R vehicle is the industry’s first factory-equipped, turbocharged, mud-specific side-by-side vehicle, and the most powerful at 172 hp. It is stable and extremely capable with its 72-in (183 cm) wide stance, ample ground clearance, specialty wheels/tires, shocks, winch, and other elements integrated to improve the mud experience.
The 120-hp Maverick X3 X mr Turbo vehicle, at 64 in. (162.6 cm) wide, has many of the same design elements, engineering features and mud capability, but with a more value-focused approach.
Full details on all of these new models will be available in the December 2017 issue of UTV Sports! You can access our back issues here: https://hyb.utvsportsmag.com/back-issues/
For information on all the new Maverick X3 vehicles, please click over to: www.can-am.brp.com